If you wish to be an oral hygiene star, you must take the steps necessary to protect your teeth from all dangers. All the brushing and flossing in the world does not matter if you consistently put your teeth physically in harm’s way or neglect them. Listed below are some risks that occur in our everyday lives that you should avoid or exercise caution with:
– Wearing quality safety gear such as mouth guards and face masks can often be the difference between minor discomfort and a serious oral accident. Always wear safety gear especially when you do any contact sports.
– Not all oral accidents are visible outside your smile, as some can happen on a microscopic level. For example, chewing on your nails or pens can damage your teeth beyond just the risk of visible cracks and chips, because those items can cause fractures.
– Always exercise caution when biting into any meals, because you never know when a product will come along that may not be cooked properly or may be extra hard, which can end up cracking or splitting your teeth. Even biting on a fork or spoon too hard can cause pain and discomfort.
– Never use your mouth as a can opener, or an oral accident may occur. Teeth are not tools.
– Although mouth jewelry such as lip and tongue rings may seem like a fashionable choice, they can lead to oral accidents such as torn gum tissue and cracked teeth.
If you are concerned about your oral health or feel it is time to come in for a dental checkup, please call Prince Dental Care in San Jose, California, today at 408-243-5044. Dr. Kenneth Browning Prince and our team of experts take our quality care seriously and are always happy to help you and your smile in any way we can.